Frequently Asked Questions
How to Choose a Quality Custom Home Builder
Partnering with a custom home builder or high-end remodeling contractor is a big decision that you should never take lightly. Since your custom home is a place that will house your family for decades yet to come, it’s important to get it right the first time. MIKEN Builders has a wealth of experience and expertise in making the dreams of our customers a reality. Here are some of the questions we suggest asking when choosing the right custom home design/build firm for your family.
- How many years of experience does the company have?
- How many years of construction, design, and project management experience do members of the team have?
- Who will you be working with over the course of the project? Will you have a single point person or a rolodex of numbers to call? At MIKEN, Mike Cummings will always be available as a point of contact. Most of our clients work with their estimator or preconstruction manager throughout the preconstruction, followed by an experienced Project Manager during construction. By coming together as a team and staying on the same page, every team member stands to benefit.
- Is the builder ready to adapt to challenges and changes that may occur during the design and construction process?
- Can the contractor or builder provide you with recent testimonials, references, and portfolio pictures?
- How many projects does the builder work on at a time?
- Can the builder accommodate your needs and wants, or do they provide you with limited modifications and strict floor plans?
- Will the builder maintain a strong relationship with you once the home has already been constructed or will you never hear from them again?
- What type of warranty does the builder offer for the materials themselves? The labor?
We encourage all of our prospective clients to ask the above questions to us and any other custom home builder they’re interested in partnering with. We’re confident that you’ll see the choice is clear. At MIKEN, you’ll enjoy the experience.
Why Partner with a Design/Build Firm?
Choosing a design/build firm over the traditional design/bid/build process is becoming more popular as homeowners seek a smoother process with an experienced team unified around a central goal. Design/build firms combine the process into a single stream without the need for you to personally deal with multiple companies, architects, designers, and vendors. Instead, the MIKEN team will coordinate all in-house and outside parties seamlessly on your behalf. MIKEN Builders works hand in hand with all of our clients to tackle design, budget, schedule, or construction issues as they come up and before they ever rear their head. By marrying the design and construction processes, homeowners benefit from a true team experience without any bumps in the road or miscommunications.
Does MIKEN Use Green Building Techniques?
MIKEN Builders values our community and the world we live in, so we’re dedicated to enhancing and preserving our environment. In 2010, Jim Coffey completed his Green Building Certification and he continues to update his education every year through green building courses offered by the National Association of Home Builders. MIKEN is capable of using a variety of effective and innovative green home building techniques to create your perfect home.
What if I Live Out of State?
MIKEN takes pride in our communication skills, so you can rest assured that you’ll still be up-to-date with what’s going on at your beachfront home or summer home, whether it’s a kitchen renovation or a new home construction. You’ll know what’s happening on your project through our interactive project management website and at least a weekly call from your Project Manager.
Have Another Question?
Just ask! MIKEN Builders enjoys building relationships with all of our customers, so we’re happy to answer any and all questions you may have about us, the design/build process, and our work in Dagsboro, Lewes, Ocean View, and surrounding Delaware community. Contact us today to see how we can make your vision a reality.